Friday, May 10, 2019

Zen and the art of motorcycles

Sometimes it is nice to borrow the enthusiasm of others for inspiration.
Recently my partner has embarked on a dirt bike restoration (a Yamaha WR450f for those in the know) which has provided excellent opportunity for documentary sketching and studying mechanical details.  It doesn't hurt to be under cover in the garage during the variable autumn weather either....


Here I enjoyed creating a 'collage' of sketches to convey the process of deconstruction and cleaning the motorbike, using different media and colour to create layers of focus.  I can't help myself when it comes to watercolour splatters, but they seemed appropriate in the messy workshop environment.

It is also fun to draw mechanical details that you don't necessarily understand but are familiar to those in the know once the sketch is finished.  Adding the human element with people sketching is a more recent exploration for me.

I also took the opportunity to draw the prior project bike before it was sold (Yamaha TTR250).  I sat on a low chair, getting more of an action angle on the parked bike and playing with splatters and mixing media to add some of the dirt bike energy.


Looking back through my sketchbooks I have found inspiration in the bikes many times in the past...

2019


2019

 2016

I look forward to documenting the restoration as it progresses through the repair, replacement and reconstruction phases too. 
The bike was in pieces before I had a chance to sketch it as a whole, so watch out for the final reveal!


Shelley

(Autumn/May 2019)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley, love the collage and splatter - a fun take on the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog Shelley! Love your sketches and looking forward to following the restoration process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gostaria de saber se e possível fazer-me um desenho idêntico de uma Honda África twin 1100 adventure sports 2021 como essa que aí está mas branca azul e vermelho

    ReplyDelete