Monday, November 18, 2019

Self portrait Sundays

I find doing selfies the most difficult of all portraits.  They're not as self-indulgent as they may seem, rather a bit of a challenge to portray yourself in the image you have.

To this end, I've started following a small Facebook Group where you post a weekly selfie.  Rules being, no photos used / drawn from life. I see some people have been members for a couple of years and are producing stunning selfies, so there's plenty to aspire to.

Here's my first few weeks efforts.  Every one felt OK at the time... Though it's hard to avoid the stare!

This was a ten minute fude pen sketch in front of the bathroom mirror with strong overhead light



Here I was trying out some hot press paper with watercolours.  It felt stiff and that seems to have come across in how I look!
This time I got my favoured 2B pencil out and used a new sketchpad I bought in Melbourne with nice, rough textered paper.  Interesting shadows being cast on my bald head!
This is last week's watercolour on some old Bockinford paper I must've bought over 20 or 30 years ago.  The paper  made all the difference in how the paint flowed and could be controlled.

1 comment: