Monday, December 10, 2018

The magic of painting outside

Glendhu Bay, Lake Wanaka

This last weekend I ran my first workshop! And I'm happy to report I have 5 new converts to the magic of painting outside.

Day 1 was spent at 2 different locations at Glendhu Bay on Lake Wanaka. We did 4 small paintings in the morning learning about aerial perspective, the steps for painting a watercolour landscape, and how to paint watercolour skies. In the afternoon we did a larger painting of the iconic view of Mt Aspiring from Glendhu Bay.











Day 2 we sketched the historic old chapel at Cardrona, and I taught students my tricks for dealing with linear perspective in real life. Their finished paintings knocked my socks off!











The weather held, the views were beautiful, and I couldn't have asked for a better bunch of enthusiastic, hardworking, aspiring artists. I got to share my passion for sketching outside, and now they're all buying supplies and setting up sketching dates. Yay! Can't wait to do another workshop :-)


Renee Walden
www.scatterlings.co.nz


2 comments:

  1. WOW! Please do tell if you're ever doing a workshop in Auckland. I'll be the first in line. I'm enthusiastic, aspiring and hard-working,even though I cannot imagine achieving what these students did! Would love to learn from you all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachael! Another enthusiastic, aspiring artist? Yay! I can't imagine coming up to Auckland for the next wee while, so maybe you need a holiday in Wanaka? Say around the 2 & 3 of February???

      Delete